St James’ is located in the hamlet of Shireshead, near Forton, Preston.
This superstition meant that the doors on these unfavourable and shaded sides were blocked off so witches couldn’t enter, they were left to go into a state of disrepair and no person of respectability would be buried here.
Sir Thomas Egerton purchased this estate in 1598. Although the Egerton family had ownership of the estate, the old medieval hall was rented out to tenants. It took until 1716 when John, the great-great-grandson of Sir Thomas, built the first mansion on the land that the family actually resided on the estate.
In 1813 Wordsworth and his family moved to Rydal Mount, Ambleside and that’s where he spent the rest of his life.
Hutton – In – The – Forest was believed to be a medieval stronghold and still includes to this day a Pele tower.