St James’ is located in the hamlet of Shireshead, near Forton, Preston.
This superstition meant that the doors on these unfavourable and shaded sides were blocked off so witches couldn’t enter, they were left to go into a state of disrepair and no person of respectability would be buried here.
In 1612 Jane Southworth, Jennet Bierley and her daughter-in-law, Ellen Bierley, were accused of witchcraft by Grace Sowerbutts, the teenage granddaughter of Jennet. It was acclaimed that they had killed Grace’s twelve-month-old baby. Once the child had been buried, the three women exhumed the body from the graveyard, cooked it, ate it and saved the fat to rub into their bodies in order to change their appearance. The three accused women were incarcerated at Lancaster castle.
Surrounded by Yew trees which are traditionally found in graveyards, the old stone cross is a reminder that this was once a graveyard to the Catholics of the family who couldn’t be buried anywhere but on private land.
Inside the church is a large pendulum that hangs down from the wall. This clock was installed in 1850 and the ticking can be heard throughout the building.
The Witch of Woodplumpton is the legend of a woman named Meg Shelton, she was accused of witchcraft and in 1705 she was buried in this churchyard.
This massive stone is known as the “shelter stone,” it was once used by the quarry men to shelter behind when they were blasting. These days it’s used by rock climbers.
The Wyre estuary is where the mouth to the Irish sea meets the river Wyre.
Woodwell is now a part of the circular walk around Silverdale, Lancashire. It is surrounded by fields, woodland and a cliff side with numerous pathways and walks leading off into different directions.
Jack Scout is a circular trail around the coastal scene of Silverdale, Lancashire.